P•A•I•N - a four letter word every single one of us will face at some point in our lives. Though pain hurts in the moment and sometimes feels like there's no way out, somehow someway we all get through it. Why does pain exist in the world & does it always make sense? Abusive relationships, bad reports from the doctor, the sudden loss of a loved one.... All of these things we could do without, but pain, though it hurts, produces something in us that the good times never could. Pain gives us a superhero like strength and connects to every single human being on the face of this earth. You see, you might makes millions of dollars in your life time, but not everyone will. However, that time your heart was broken, trillions of people around globe can relate to that. Today, let's remind ourselves that our pain is far greater than us and our pain has a purpose to connect us to others who are in pain and will one day need a word of encouragement from someone, like yourself, who has been there.
It's important that we don't just go through pain, but we grow through our pain. When I am going through it, here is what I do to find strength (in no particular order):
- Worship - when I lost my grandpa, spending time in worship was the only thing that got me through this. I put "Hillsong" on YouTube and sobbed for hours with my hands held high to Heaven.
- Talk To A Friend: a word of encouragement can go a long way. A word of encouragement has the power to pull us out of the pit we may find ourselves in during our time pain.
- Prayer: when in pain, pray about it. Our prayers have the power to turn things around and/or to give us peace and joy in the midst of pain.
- Read the Bible: God is the same yesterday today and forever. So reading about what He's done in the past for people reminds me that God can do it again! Sometimes when in pain, all we need is a word from God, but how can we get a word from God if we're not in the word of God?
- Meditate: calm your mind. Our minds have the potential to make our situations worse than they actually are. A mind at peace will bring our storms to peace.
- Encourage Yourself: look in the mirror and remind yourself that you can and will get through this. It's not the end of the world and you have a great God who is working on your behalf! Everything is going to be okay!
- Surrender: one of the most difficult things for human beings to do... Give up control. But, whatever is in our control is out of God's control. Give it over to Him, by trusting Him. Let your pain rest in the hands of a true comforter. He will get you through this.
I hope this post encouraged you today! Remember, we are all in this together!
Brittni De La Mora