Depression is a battle I faced for too many years. I truly didn't think it was possible to be joyous without the use of medication. I went to doctors for medication and when that didn't work, I self medicated myself into a full blown addiction.
I find it interesting when I started seeking God daily, depression and addiction flee'd from me. God's presence brings love, soul healing & joy; all of which I needed to experience true freedom.
If you battle with depression or addiction, don't believe the saying, "Once depressed always depressed" or "Once and addict always an addict". If you believe that, then you'll always be. But if you choose to believe that whom the son sets free is free indeed and that God can get you through the darkest nights with His love and light then you will encounter the same freedom as I and millions around the world have. Healing, joy, freedom, and peace await, in God's presence!
Everyday, I enter into God's presence by doing the following in this order:
- This first one is just a side note: I wake up @ 5:30am & make myself a cup of green tea to wake myself up.
- Worship - I love to worship God through song. I YouTube my favorite worship song (lately it's been So Will I by Tori Kelly) I put this song on and lift my hands up to Heaven and sing the song to my God. When I do this, I feel God's presence. The Bible says He rides in on our praise, so I believe this is the best way to quickly feel God.
- Pray - After I worship, I feel the spirit of God all around me. I just believe that is the perfect time to pray because God is there. I begin to thank Him for who He is and for what He has done in my life & then I make my requests. James 4:2 says, "You have not because you ask not if God." Don't be afraid to ask Him for what you need. God wants to bless your life & even more, He wants a relationship with you. Prayer strengthens your relationship with God in the same way talking to friend strengthens your friendship.
- Read the Bible - God's word has a way of ridding your mind of the lies the world feeds us about materialism, addiction, mental health and so forth. The word of God is the truth. John 8:32says, "You'll shall know the truth and the truth will set you free." Do you want to be set free? Do you want to have faith that will move mountains? Read the Bible, everyday. It'll change your life.
- Lately, around lunch time, I go outside to meditate. I sit quietly in the grass and listen to the birds and the wind. Through deep breaths I quiet my loud thoughts and allow the spirit of God to speak to me. Meditation has been a huge turning point in my walk with God. Since meditating I've been dreaming very vivid dreams and have been receiving prophetic visions. Not to mention the new level of God's presence and peace I've encountered has been UNREAL!
- Fast - I fast from time to time. I will do raw fruits and veggies for a few days and stay off social media to clear my mind and grow closer to God. When I do this, I say goodbye to all distractions. Distractions are a great way to keep you out of the presence of God. Imagine how much closer we would all be to God if we prayed instead of checking Instagram. Only in the perfect world, right?! However, it is extremely beneficial to fast all forms of social media from time to time.
My hope and prayer is that you grow your relationship with God. He will bless you with an unimaginable strength and a truly blessed life.
Till next time! Love Always, Brittni De La Mora